Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand


Hallowed (Unearthly #2)
By: Cynthia Hand
Released: January 17, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book:  Amazon

"For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Cynthia Hand's Hallowed is the sequel to Unearthly and picks up shortly after Unearthly left off. Clara's purpose didn't go exactly as she thought it would and she learns that there is much more to it. She also begins to have new visions and this time someone she loves is going to die.

Hallowed is an excellent yet heartbreaking sequel. Clara definitely grew on me much more in this book. She is beginning to have new visions about someone close to her dying. She grows up much more in this story and is beginning to learn more about herself.

I am a huge Tucker fan and have been from the moment he first appeared on the pages of Unearthly. He is my favorite character and I was thrilled to see more of him in Hallowed. He is funny, sweet, and loyal to Clara. I didn't like Christian at all in Unearthly but he definitely grew on me a bit more in this book. I was a bit sad that Wendy, Clara's friend and Tucker's twin, wasn't in the story all that much. I definitely missed her but I was happy to see a lot more of Clara's family and some other new interesting characters.

I really enjoyed Hallowed and surprisingly liked it even more than Unearthly. The plot was paced well and I finished the entire book in one day. The best word I can think of to describe this book is heartbreaking because it definitely got me choked up a couple of times. Days after I finished this book I still couldn't stop thinking about it. There were also plenty of suprising twists I was not expecting. I am already anxiously awaiting the next book in this series! I highly recommend Hallowed as well as Unearthly, it is a captivating series.

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that the second book continues on with a series that you are enjoying. It is great when the sequel is just as good or even better than the first book. A lot of times the sequel falls flat a little but I'm glad this one didn't

    Thanks for the great review, I can't wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I know exactly what you mean about sequels. Many of the sequels of books Ive read have tended to slow down a bit. Hallowed was a very solid sequel though and I definitely enjoyed it more than Unearthly. I hope you enjoy the series too! :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too, and unlike a lot of sequels, it actually gave us answers to out burning questions. I love where she took this book and can't wait to see what comes next. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I agree, I was happy to get alot of my questions answered in Hallowed. I am so looking forward to where Hand will take this series next because Hallowed was not at all what I expected.

      Delete
  3. I loved Hallowed WAY MORE than Unearthly :) But. I'm a Christian fan so I was soooo happy when he was the main love interest of this book!! CHRISTIAN FOR LYFE!!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel like one of the few Tucker fans still. I really do want to like Christian but it's just something about Tucker and that cowboy hat! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)