Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

The Future of Us
By: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Released: November 21, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future. By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler's The Future of Us is set in 1996 and is the story of friends Josh and Emma. When Emma installs an AOL CD onto her new computer, she is logged onto her Facebook profile instead. Emma and Josh's Facebook profiles show what their lives will be like in fifteen years. However, they soon learn that the decisions they make in the present can change their future.

I really enjoyed The Future of Us and thought it was a fun readJosh brings Emma the AOL CD and together they discover what their future holds from Facebook. I loved the friendship that they share although it is a bit awkward, they still care about each other. I enjoyed that the chapters alternated between Josh and Emma because I could see how their opinions differed on their future. I did like Josh a bit more than Emma though and enjoyed the chapters from his perspective more. I also loved their best friends Tyson and Kellan, they were one of my favorite parts.

I have been looking forward to this book for months because I have been dying for another Jay Asher book. I absolutely love the idea of coming across Facebook in the 90's. Reading some of the status updates that the future Emma and Josh posted made me laugh. It did take me a while to get into the story though because I had trouble connecting to the characters at first. I did, however, appreciate that the plot picks up immediately in the first chapter. A few chapters later the characters are developed a bit more and I was completely hooked. I especially enjoyed the last couple of chapters the most.

My favorite part of The Future of Us was definitely the setting in the 90's. I loved the music and the trends that are described. I grew up in the 90's and this brought back so many memories including, unfortunately, the dial up AOL. I enjoyed that the story takes place over one week because it doesn't make it feel dragged on. Although there was much drama, there was still plenty of funny moments as well. I recommend The Future of Us, its a fun and enjoyable read.  

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh I really liked this book a lot! I loved the relationship between Josh and Emma, although I didn't really like Emma much in the beginning. She was kind of a giant BRAT. Great review!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on hold at the library...Cannot wait to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)