Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Fury
By: Elizabeth Miles
Released: August 30, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Sometimes sorry isn't enough.... It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Elizabeth Miles' Fury is the story of Em and Chase who are chosen to pay for the mistakes they have made. Em is thrilled that the guy she has liked for months is finally paying attention to her. However, this guy just so happens to be her best friend's boyfriend. Then there is Chase who also did something cruel and now the guilt is beginning to haunt him.

Fury is a dark and captivating story that I really enjoyed. Em and Chase are flawed characters that I didn't necessarily really like. I liked Em more than Chase though but, they both did something that directly hurt another person. I really liked that the chapters alternated between them because it helped move the story along. I also thought it was interesting to compare them and how they each interacted differently with the furies. 
The furies, Ali, Meg, and especially Ty were just creepy. They are three beautiful girls that show up in town to make Em and Chase pay. The only word I can think of to describe them is creepy. They just appear out of nowhere. I would, however, like to learn more about them. A side character that I did completely love was JD. He is Em's friend and is just really sweet.

Fury started off a bit slow for me but a couple of chapters later it picked up. I liked how the plot built up to learning what Chase's cruel act was. I loved the mythology of the furies and I loved how Miles incorporated it into the story. The plot had quite a few unexpected moments that shocked me. The last few chapters were definitely my favorite though. I can't wait to read what will happen next and I will be anxiously awaiting the next book. I recommend Fury, it is a thrilling and creepy story.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Okay, I did not realize that the Furies were legit from Greek/Roman mythology. This just made Fury even more appealing to me.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The mythology is definitely interesting and was one of the reasons I chose to read this book. I wish there was a bit more of it explained so I am hoping the next book goes into more detail.

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad to hear you liked this one, because I've read a lot of negative reviews! I definitely trust your judgment so I'm looking forward to this one again :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! :) I trust your reviews too, your blog is one of my favorites!!
      I know I read so many negative reviews and was a bit worried too but I really enjoyed it. It is very different and dark though so I can understand why it isn't for everyone but I hope you like it if you do check it out.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)