Monday, January 9, 2012

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Deadly Cool
By: Gemma Halliday
Released: October 11, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool. But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Gemma Halliday's Deadly Cool is the story of Hartley who finds out that her boyfriend, Josh, is cheating on her. However, it only gets worse when Josh is accused of murder and asks Hartley to help clear his name. She believes that he is innocent and decides to search for the killer with the help of her best friend Sam and bad boy Chase.

I really enjoyed Deadly Cool and finished the book in one sitting. Hartley is an interesting character who is determined to find the killer. She is mad at her boyfriend, Josh, for cheating but she firmly believes that he isn't a murderer. I like that Hartley doesn't let herself get pushed around and she sticks with what she believes in. I also thought it was brave of her to go and search for a murderer.

I love the relationship she shares with her hilarious best friend Sam. They are loyal to one another and Sam agrees to help Hartley even though their search is dangerous. Also helping Hartley is mysterious bad boy Chase. Chase is Josh's next door neighbor and works for the school paper.

The story picks up immediately in the first chapter. The plot is suspenseful and mysterious. I enjoyed trying to solve the murder along with Hartley and I was completely surprised by the ending. I found myself collecting clues and trying to narrow down a list of suspects. I definitely was not expecting what happens in the last few chapters. I loved that the plot wasn't all that serious too. Although Hartley is searching for a murderer, there are still several light and funny moments. I enjoyed Halliday's writing style and the dialogue. I am really excited to read the sequel, Social Suicide, and see what Hartley will get herself into next. I recommend Deadly Cool, its an exciting and captivating mystery.  

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Man oh man I want to read this one so bad!! Glad you enjoyed it :)
    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahah I just finished this one the other day and it was AWESOME! I think the writing is HILARIOUS! And I live in San Jose so it was exciting to read about all these places that I've been to! Awesome review!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)