Monday, January 23, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder
By: Marissa Meyer
Released: January 3, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. " (Summary from goodreads.com)

Marissa Meyer's Cinder is the story of Cinder who is a cyborg. She works as a mechanic and lives with her stepmother and stepsisters. However, one day she meets Prince Kai and she soon finds herself developing feelings for him. Cinder also finds herself uncovering secrets that could ultimately destroy her world.
I loved Cinder and couldn't put this book down once I started it. Cinder is a cyborg and works as a mechanic. Her past is quite a mystery though because she has no recollection of any part of her life before she was eleven years old. Cinder makes a great and interesting protagonist though. She is tough, bold, selfless, and funny.

Kai is the young and charming prince. He cares greatly for his people and wants to do what is best for them. I loved how a relationship slowly develops between Kai and Cinder. Peony is Cinder's stepsister but also a good friend to her. Unlike Cinder's other stepsister Pearl. Adri is Cinder's stepmother and she is a cruel and vicious person when it comes to how she treats Cinder. I could not stand Adri and how she blamed Cinder for things completely out of her control.

I love the whole concept of a retelling of the classic story Cinderella and Meyer puts a unique and interesting twist on the story. I am a bit of a sci-fi fan and was so excited when I first read about this book and it definitely lived up to my expectations. Although the plot was predictable for me, I still really enjoyed it. I especially loved the interesting setting in New Beijing. The ending leaves on a cliffhanger and I am definitely excited to see where this story will go next. I highly recommend Cinder, its an exciting and unique story.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I really really liked this book too :) I love fairy tale retellings so I was super stoked when I heard about this one. I really liked how Meyer reworked it to deal with cyborgs too!! SO COOL!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Cinder. I thought the characters and the writing were very well done. I'm dying to know what happens next though, especially after that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was AMAZING seriously loved it , even if it was predictable at times, but then again it is a retelling /twist lol. I get to meet Marissa Meyer on Friday and I am so excited! awesome review, thanks or sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) This book was so amazing and I can't wait to read the next one now! Ahh so jealous you are meeting Marissa on Friday, have a great time!!!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Cinder a lot too! I will admit that the ending has me chomping at the bit to get my hands on book #2 in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm reading this right now and am really enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Lisa I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying Cinder right now!! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)