Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

The Alchemy of Forever
By: Avery Williams
Released: January 3, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"After spending six hundred years on Earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago, her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to take the bodies of other humans from jumping from one vessel to the next, ending the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again. Then sixteen-year old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, and Sera accidentally takes over her body while trying to save her. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting--and falling in love with the boy who lives next door. But Cyrus will stop at nothing until she's his again, and every moment she stays, she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care about in danger. Will Sera have to give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Avery Williams' The Alchemy of Forever is the story of Seraphina who has lived for centuries. Her boyfriend, Cyrus, first used alchemy to jump from one body to the next. However they end a human life each time they jump into that new body. Seraphina doesn't want to kill again and wants to escape the controlling Cyrus. When she finally does make her escape, she accidentally takes on a new body while trying to save a girl. Instead of running again, Seraphina decides to stay around and live in the girl's place.

I loved The Alchemy of Forever and couldn't put this book down. Sera is getting tired of immortality and she feels guilty for all of the lives she has taken. She also wants to escape from Cyrus who is dangerous, controlling, and manipulative. I loved that the story begins with the first time that Sera jumped into a new body. I was immediately rooting for her to make her escape after only a couple of pages. Although she has lived for many centuries she still has much to learn. Sera accidentally jumps into Kailey's body while trying to save her. Kailey is a bit of a mystery and there are still several questions I am left with about her. The moments where Sera is Kailey were so sweet because she finally has somewhat of a normal life. Sera does her best living as Kailey but she falls for Kailey's next door neighbor, Noah. Noah is so sweet and kind. He also has a great taste in music.

Cyrus was a creepy character that gave me chills. He controls every aspect of Sera's life, from what she does to how much money she has. He even chooses the next body for her to jump into. Cyrus doesn't physically appear dangerous but from the beginning he gives off a bad vibe. The more I learned about him the more I wanted Sera to get away from him and fast. However there are plenty of other characters that I did love such as Charlotte, Sera's immortal best friend, and Bryan, Kailey's brother.

I have been looking forward to this book for months and it completely lived up to my expectations. The story picks up immediately on the first page and the plot is paced well. There are several unexpected twists that I definitely didn't see coming. I thought I had figured it all out and then the final few chapters really shocked me. I loved learning about the alchemy and found it to be really interesting. The shocking cliffhanger ending has left me completely speechless. I got chills from the last page and I am still thinking about it. I am dying for book two now! There are several questions still left and I'm definitely interested in learning more about these characters. I highly recommend The Alchemy of Forever, its a suspenseful and surprising story.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I honestly wasn't thinking about reading this book much, but now that I've read your raving review I'll definitely have to check it out!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering picking up this book and now I REALLY want it. The idea of using human bodies as vessels is super intriguing and I loved it in The Host and Mercy. Hopefully it's just as great here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review! This sounds like a really interesting books, and I love the sound of all the characters. It kind of reminds me a little of The Host. I will definitely need to look more into this one.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anna! :)

    Stephanie and Andrea Thanks, I hope you enjoy it! I didn't even think about The Host while reading it but now that you mentioned it I can see how it reminds you of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)