Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

Sometimes It Happens
By: Lauren Barnholdt
Released: July 12, 2011
Source: ARC from Asher at Paranormal Indulgence
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"This novel opens on the first day of Hannah’s senior year, but the story really starts on the last day of her junior year. That’s when Hannah not only gets dumped by her boyfriend, Sebastian, but she also finds out her best friend, Ava, is going to be gone for the entire summer. But Ava’s boyfriend, Noah, is definitely around—and such a good guy that he snags Hannah a job at the diner where he works. Hannah and Noah move from coworkers, to friends….and one night, to something more. Now it’s back to school, where Hannah will see Sebastian, Ava, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, Hannah will learn a lot about love, friendship…and herself." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Lauren Barnholdt's Sometimes it Happens is the story of Hannah as she begins her first day of senior year. At the end of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend, Sebastian, cheated on her. Also her best friend, Ava, left to spend the summer working at a camp. Ava's boyfriend, Noah, is around though and he helps Hannah get a summer job. As the summer passes Noah and Hannah start to become more than just friends. However, when school starts Hannah must face seeing Sebastian, Ava, and Noah again. 

I really enjoyed Sometimes it Happens and finished this book quickly. Hannah is beginning her senior year of high school but is worried because of the events that occurred over the summer. Hannah begins her summer depressed because her boyfriend cheated on her and her best friend makes last minute plans to leave for the entire summer. Hannah was definitely a relatable character for me at times. She grows up a great deal through the story and she learns a lot about herself.  

I really disliked Hannah's best friend Ava from the very beginning. Ava was controlling and not a good friend to Hannah at all. She gave her bad advice more than once and just treated her terribly. I loved Lacey who became Hannah's friend over the summer at the diner. Lacey is a hypochondriac though and panics over the smallest signs that she could possibly be sick. Although a bit crazy at times, she is a good friend to Hannah. Then there is Noah who I fell in love with over the course of the book as well. I must add that Noah has an excellent taste in music. I loved how the relationship between Hannah and Noah slowly and realistically develops. I questioned though why Noah was ever with Ava in the first place.

I loved how each chapter alternated between Hannah's first day of senior year and the events that occurred over the summer. I liked how everything that happened during the summer was slowly revealed and the reader could see how it directly affected Hannah in the present day. This was the first book that I read by Barnholdt but I will definitely be reading more now. I recommend Sometimes it Happens, it is a quick and realistic story.     

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I normally don't read teen fiction just because I feel like the ones I have read are too unrealistic or too dramatic. I do have to say though, I will have to give this one a shot.

    Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)