Friday, December 9, 2011

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices Book 2)
By: Cassandra Clare
Released: December 6, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them. Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do? As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Prince is the sequel to Clockwork Angel and picks up a shortly after Clockwork Angel left off. Charlotte is in danger of being replaced as head of the Institute. While Tessa, Will, and Jem are working to uncover the Magister's next plan against the shadowhunters. Tessa is also still seeking the truth about who she is and who her parents were.

I loved Clockwork Prince and did not want to put this book down but I also never wanted it to end. The series is filled with so many great characters that are strongly developed. Tessa is one my favorite female protagonists of all time because of her strength. Tessa is capable of taking care of herself. She continues to grow a great deal though as she continues her search for the truth about who she is. Tessa is also beginning training to become a better fighter.

I am a huge Will fan and loved that I saw another side to him as he grew a great deal through the course of the story. I enjoyed learning more about his family and past as well. Jem definitely grew on me much more in this book. I like Jem a lot and I think he is so sweet but, I am still team Will. I really enjoyed seeing more of the bond between Jem and Will which is one of my favorite aspects of this series. They would do absolutely anything for one another. Another character that grew on me much more in this book is Sophie. She is beginning to train and learn to defend herself. Then of course there is Magnus who I always find entertaining. I love seeing a different side to him than I see in The Mortal Instruments series.

I loved Clockwork Prince more than Clockwork Angel which I didn't even think was possible. This book had me laughing out loud at moments while my heart was torn at other moments. The plot flows from the first page to the last and there are unexpected surprises throughout. Clare's writing is beautiful as always and she creates a detailed world that you completely lose yourself in. Once again I love the quotes that begin each chapter and some are from my personal favorite poems. I will definitely be rereading this book again very soon. The ending left me speechless and I am dying for Clockwork Princess. I can't recommend this exciting and captivating series enough!

My Rating:




*Also you can read my recap of the Clockwork Prince release party/signing here



4 comments:

  1. Great review! It was such a fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read the first one but based on your review of the second book I really need to read this series.

    Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!!
    I also agree that i kind of liked this book more than Clockwork Angel :P
    BUT i dont love will more than jem, or jem more than will! i love them both!
    GREAT review!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Farah @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Such a mixture of emotions. The best book yet on this installment. Clockwork Prince is definetly a must read. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)