Friday, December 16, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe
By: Beth Revis
Released: January 11, 2011
Source: Paperback from NYCC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Beth Revis' Across the Universe is the story of Amy who is frozen along with her parents and put onto the spaceship Godspeed. Amy is expecting to wake up three hundred years later on a new planet. However, someone attempts to murder her and she is woken up fifty years early. Amy is desperate to find the murderer before they get to her parents next. She is also trying to fit in on a ship that follows rules that are very different from the ones she knew on earth.

I loved Across the Universe and I am mad at myself for not reading this book sooner. From the first page the story completely pulled me in and I was reluctant to put this book down. Amy loves her parents and just wants to stay with them which is why she joins them on the ship to the new planet. She is upset when she is woken up fifty years earlier than her parents. However, Amy is tough and she doesn't give up easily. She even stands up to the leader of the ship, Eldest. Amy also becomes determined to discover who tried to kill her.

Elder is being trained by Eldest to become the next leader of the ship. He is questioning some of Eldest's action though and he grows even more suspicious of Eldest once he meets Amy. Elder becomes fascinated by Amy because she is so different from everyone else on the ship. He also decides to help her on her hunt for the murderer. I loved that the point of view alternated between Amy and Elder for each chapter. It showed just how different life is on the ship for Elder compared to Amy's life growing up on earth. Another character I instantly loved was Harley who is Elder's friend that lives in the mental hospital.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the dystopian setting on the ship because it was so interesting and different from what I have read before. Revis describes it all in great detail which made me feel as though I was on the ship with Amy. The plot is filled with exciting and unexpected twists that I never saw coming. I also loved trying to solve the murder alongside Amy and Elder. I can't wait to read the next book in this trilogy, A Million Suns. I am excited to see where Revis will take this story next. I strongly recommend Across the Universe, it is an exciting and mysterious story.  

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book a lot! I haven't read it because I don't read these kinds of books. But it sounds interesting. Great review! Thank you for sharing it!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay.. now you're ready for A Million Suns! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)