Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper

Tangled Tides
By: Karen Amanda Hooper
Released: November 25, 2011
Source: E-book ARC from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Yara Jones doesn’t believe in sea monsters—until she becomes one. When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious. Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people—until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process—or she might open the gateway to a love that’s deeper than the oceans." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Karen Amanda Hooper's Tangled Tides is the story of Yara who wakes up as a mermaid after a hurricane. Yara finds herself learning more about the merfolk and selkies. She also discovers that both sides believe that she can save them by reopening the gateway to their realm.

Tangled Tides is a captivating and exciting story with strongly developed characters. Yara is tough and stubborn but also brave. She finds herself in the middle of a world that she has only ever heard stories of. Treygan is a bit mysterious in the beginning and I love how his character develops. The complicated relationship between Treygan and Yara naturally grows as the story progresses as well. 

There are so many other characters that I also enjoyed such as Rowan, Delmar, Pango, and Koraline. I especially liked how the narration switches between Yara, Treygan, and Rowan because it helped understand each character's motives more clearly. 

Tangled Tides dives right into the story from the very first page. I did not want to put this book down for even a second but I also didn't want it to end. I loved learning about the mythology of the merfolk, selkies, and sirens. Hooper creates an exciting and interesting world that I instantly fell in love with. I have been looking for a good mermaid story for sometime now and this was definitely it. The plot has a few unexpected twists and I especially loved the ending. I will definitely be looking forward to what Hooper writes next. I strongly recommend Tangled Tides, you won't want to miss out on this story.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I love this cover and the contents of the book sound equally compelling. I'm not a big fan of alternating narration, but I'm glad to hear it worked for you in this case. I'll definitely have to look into it on release day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)