Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me
By: Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Source: ARC from NYCC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A advanced reader's copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior." (summary from goodreads.com)

Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me is the story of seventeen year old Juliette who has the power to kill someone with just a touch. Juliette has been locked up for years because she is considered dangerous. While held in her private cell, the outside world around her continues to fall to pieces and the Reestablishment claims they can fix it all.


Shatter Me is a beautifully written and captivating story with strongly developed characters. Juliette makes an excellent protagonist who I sympathized a great deal for especially, while she is locked up. She has a powerful ability to kill another person with just one touch but because of this ability she is alienated. I loved that Juliette's thoughts are always known to the reader and those thoughts are absolutely heartbreaking at times. 

Juliette soon meets Adam who she shares a special connection with. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that Adam is one of the sweetest characters ever. There are several other interesting and well developed characters who are brought into the story as well such as Warner, Kenji, and James.

Mafi creates a believable and interesting dystopian world. The story captured my attention from the first sentence and held it until the last. I did not want to put it down but I also didn't want it to ever end. The plot flows smoothly from one page to the next and has the perfect balance of romance and action. I loved Mafi's writing style and the details she includes. I truly got a deeper understanding into Juliette's world and inside her mind. I loved the ending and I am dying to read what will happen next. I will definitely be buying a copy of this when it comes out and I can't wait to read it again. Mafi makes an excellent debut and I can't recommend Shatter Me enough!

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. Sounds like you had no problem rating this a solid 5-stars. Makes me want to read it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading reviews that are so enthusiastic. It just makes me more excited to read the book :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)