Friday, October 28, 2011

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge
By: Kimberly Derting
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Source: Simon and Schuster GalleyGrab
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed. Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime." (summary from kimberlyderting.com)

Kimberly Derting's The Pledge is the story of Charlaina who lives in the country of Ludania where the classes are divided by language. Charlie is capable of understanding every language but must hide this dangerous secret. Charlie then meets Max who speaks a language that she has never understood before and she can't deny the attraction she feels towards him.  

I am a huge fan of Derting's Body Finder Series and I was excited to read The Pledge, also the interesting premise immediately caught my attention. The book is filled with so many characters that I completely fell in love with. Charlie lives in a dangerous country where looking into the eyes of someone who is in a higher class can mean death. She has a special ability though because she can understand every class language but, she must keep this secret hidden. Charlie is tough because she has grown up in this dangerous country keeping her secret. She is also selfless and I especially loved the relationship she shared with her younger sister, Angelina. 

Max is a bit of a mystery because he speaks a language that Charlie has never heard of before. The chemistry between Charlie and Max is evident from the first moment they meet though. I also loved the other characters such as Charlie's best friends Brooklyn and Aron, as well as Charlie's parents. Then there was the mysterious Xander from the underground club.

Derting once again uses the style where she alternates between the protagonist and antagonist, Charlie and the Queen. However, she also alternates between Max and Xander as well. I really enjoyed that the chapters alternated because it helped move the plot along and give a deeper understanding into each character. I loved the fascinating dystopian setting in the country of Ludania and I enjoyed learning the history, especially how the Queen came into power. The plot goes by a bit quickly but, there are also quite a few surprises and twists that I wasn't expecting. I really liked the ending and I hope there will be another book. Overall, The Pledge is a captivating and interesting story that I recommend.

My Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I didn't love this one as much, but I did love how Derting included the Queen's POV. She was straight up CREEPY. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this! Great review! I have The Pledge swag to give away but I don't know how to effectively promote it since I only know the summary of the book. Any advice?

    -Sarah
    Sarah's Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I completely agree the Queen freaked me out, she was scary.

    Sarah, thanks! Hmm maybe give the swag away each week leading up to the books release as a sort of countdown. Or you can make a post with the summary and include the teaser that Kimberly Derting posted on her own blog. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Traci! I really appreciate the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. I really liked this one as well. I wish Max had been a little bit more developed, but that was my only complaint about the entire book. I thought the pacing on it was just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)