Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door
By: Stephanie Perkins
Released: September 29, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Stephanie Perkin's Lola and the Boy Next Door is the story of Lola who loves to dress in unique costumes every day. Lola's life is going almost perfectly until her old neighbors, the Bell's, move back in. Lola was once best friends with the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, until they had a falling out before they moved away. Now that Cricket is back, Lola must face the feelings she has carried for him for years.

I loved Lola and the Boy Next Door and I did not want this book to end. I was nervous that I wouldn't love it as much as I loved Anna and the French Kiss but I was completely wrong. The characters are deeply developed which makes them realistic and relatable. Lola was an excellent and fun protagonist. She is original and I loved all of her costumes. I enjoyed her parents as well and the relationship she shares with them. I also enjoyed the friendship Lola shares with Lindsey. Lola and Lindsey aren't exactly similar but they are there for each other.

Cricket Bell is the boy next door who loves to invent things but has always lived in his twin sister's shadow. Cricket is sweet, awkward, and smart and I am completely in love with him. Lola once had feelings for Cricket years ago but when Cricket comes back she is already dating someone else. The chemistry between Lola and Cricket is evident though from the first time they see each other again.

I loved the setting in San Francisco and once again Perkins describes a city in such great detail that I feel as though I am walking the streets with the characters. I loved where Anna and St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss came into the story and I loved seeing them again. The plot moves at an excellent pace and each page flows right to the next one. I especially loved the ending the most and I already went back to reread it again. I also know that I will definitely be rereading this book many more times. I can't express how much I loved Lola and the Boy Next Door and I can't recommend it enough!

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I didn't love Anna so I was worried on how I would feel about Lola's story. It took me all the way till the end of the book but I ended up loving Lola's story. Cricket is really the boy next door that I would have liked to have growing up. :)
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved Lola as well. Man, I can't wait for Isla & The Happily Ever After!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)