Friday, October 7, 2011

Light Fixtures by Deborah DeMoss Smith

Light Fixtures
By: Deborah DeMoss Smith
Released: June 27, 2011
Source: Received from author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

"During the sweltering summer of 1963, everything is moving fast for 14-year-old Aurora, who’s spending the days with her grandparents in the northwest Louisiana countryside. Her fast thoughts and actions can cause those around her to shake their heads in bafflement, especially when her spirits nosedive. But it’s no puzzle for the mystical Mr. Hematite and his tiny assistant, Mr. Dragonfly. Together, they guide her in understanding her bipolar moods and show her that as Light Fixtures, everyone has the potential to shine with balance and brilliance." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Deborah DeMoss Smith's Light Fixtures is the story of young Aurora who is spending the summer with her grandparents in Louisiana during the 1960's. Aurora is often high spirited and her family is accustomed to it. However, Aurora soon meets Mr. Hematite and Mr. Dragonfly who know the truth behind Aurora's fast moving thoughts.

I enjoyed Light Fixtures and the I especially liked the character of Aurora. She is always moving fast and doesn't stay still for long but she is also smart, tough, and sassy. I love her quick retorts to Johnny Lee, the older boy from her school who helps her grandfather. Aurora also works hard and helps out her grandparents with little complaint. Aurora's grandparents work hard every day and it is clearly evident how much they love their granddaughter. I also enjoyed the interesting characters Mr. Hematite and Mr. Dragonfly and I wasn't sure what to expect from them at first but I wish there was some more of them in the story.

I loved the setting in the South during the 1960's. Smith describes the town in great detail which made me feel as though I was actually there. It took me a while to get into the story but I really enjoyed the ending the most. Smith does an excellent job handling the topic of bipolar depression which I don't see often in Young Adult literature. I sympathized for Aurora who drastically dropped from a high mood to a low mood and did not know she had bipolar depression because it was something that was not treated at the time. Overall, I enjoyed Light Fixtures and recommend it.
My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)