Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

The Unwanteds
By: Lisa McMann
Released: August 30, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Every year in Quill, thirteen-year-olds are sorted into categories: the strong, intelligent Wanteds go to university, and the artistic Unwanteds are sent to their deaths. Thirteen-year-old Alex tries his hardest to be stoic when his fate is announced as Unwanted, even while leaving behind his twin, Aaron, a Wanted. Upon arrival at the destination where he expected to be eliminated, however, Alex discovers a stunning secret—behind the mirage of the "death farm" there is instead a place called Artime. In Artime, each child is taught to cultivate their creative abilities and learn how to use them magically, weaving spells through paintbrushes and musical instruments. Everything Alex has ever known changes before his eyes, and it's a wondrous transformation. But it's a rare, unique occurence for twins to be separated between Wanted and Unwanted, and as Alex and Aaron's bond stretches across their separation, a threat arises for the survival of Artime that will pit brother against brother in an ultimate, magical battle." (Summary from goodreads.com)
 
Lisa McMann's The Unwanteds is the story of twins Alex and Aaron who live in a land called Quill. Every year thirteen-year-olds are sorted into either the Wanted group where they are sent to the university or they are sorted into the Unwanted category where they are sent to their death. Aaron is determined to be Wanted but Alex is Unwanted because of his artistic ability. Alex discovers though that the Unwanteds are not actually killed but are secretly sent to a new land called Artime. Artime is a place created by magic where the Unwanteds learn to master their creative abilities and learn magic that will help them fight Quill.

I loved The Unwanteds and I didn't want to put this book down. I have read and loved all of McMann's previous books so I have been highly anticipating The Unwanteds and I enjoyed it even more than I was expecting. The characters are each excellently developed and I grew quite an attachment to them. Twins Alex and Aaron are fairly different from one another but still have a strong bond. According to the rules of Quill, Aaron must forget about his brother and attend the university. However, Aaron hopes to take over and rule Quill one day. Alex learns to grow a great deal through the story as he goes on this difficult and unexpected journey. I admit Alex annoyed me a bit when he first arrived in Artime and was behind on lessons but he quickly grew on me after that. I love the characters in Artime as well such as Alex's friends, Lani, Meghan, and especially Artime's leader Mr. Today.

I love the setting and I was instantly drawn into the frightening world of Quill and the magical world of Artime. I was completely fascinated by the land Artime which is filled with magic, talking creatures, talking blackboards, tubes that can bring you anywhere, and lastly where creativity is powerful. The thrilling plot is unpredictable and I never entirely knew what to expect to happen next. I like that the story alternates between multiple characters which helped me get a deeper understanding into each character as well as their motives. I highly recommend The Unwanteds, it is a creative and exciting story.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful shot..and great information about that..thanks for share with us..
    Playground equipment Houston

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)