Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
By: Michelle Hodkin
Released: September 27, 2011
Source: Purchased (Barnes and Noble had it out early)
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is. She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Michelle Hodkin's The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is the story of teenager Mara Dyer who wakes up in the hospital after an accident that killed her best friends. Mara doesn't remember anything from the accident or how she survived without any injuries. After having trouble moving on with her life, Mara's family moves to a new city.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this book but I immediately fell in love with it. From the very first page I was completely hooked and did not want to put it down. Mara is a fascinating character who makes an excellent protagonist. I sympathized with her as she handles the loss of her best friend and worries about her own mental stability. I really liked her relationship with her brothers, Daniel and Joseph. Daniel supports his sister and tries to help her out when he can.

Noah is the boy at Mara's new school with the bad reputation and she is warned to stay away from him. However, circumstances continue to throw them together. Noah is sweet, arrogant, funny, and mysterious. I admit I wasn't so sure about him in the beginning but I was soon falling for him as well. The relationship between Mara and Noah is developed as the story progresses and they balance one another.

The mysterious plot flows from one page to the next. The paranormal aspect is interesting and some parts were a bit creepy. I liked how the mystery of Mara as well as the accident slowly unraveled in pieces throughout the story. At times I wasn't entirely sure what was real and what wasn't, but it only added to the suspense of uncovering the mystery. Hodkin makes an excellent debut and I already can't wait for the next book. The unexpected ending leaves off on a bit of a confusing cliffhanger but I still loved it. I highly recommend The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer it has become one of my top five favorite books of 2011. I am already looking forward to rereading it again soon.

 


My Rating:


Also check out the awesome book trailer: here
(It is one of my favorite book trailers!)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this soon!! I've heard only phenomenal things about this book. :) I've heard that Mara is an excellent protagonist and that Noah is super hot. So glad you loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the secondary characters as well. Mara¿s brothers, Daniel and Joseph, were very developed characters, as are Mara¿s parents. This was a family that actually cared about each other. I wish we had seen Noah¿s sister and mother more in the book. There were a few ¿villainy¿ type characters in the book, but we don¿t see a whole lot of interaction with them. There are a few characters I wanted to know more about, mostly Mara¿s friend Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)