Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Fateful
By: Claudia Gray
Released: September 13, 2011

Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"It's about a servant girl named Tess in 1912, who wants to escape from the house where she works, and most particularly the lecherous young lord of the manor. But that's not her biggest problem. While on a voyage to America, where she plans to escape and start a new life, she meets Alec, who's ruggedly handsome, fabulously wealthy, intelligent and yet so clearly troubled that she'd rather not fall for him, but she does. That also is not her biggest problem. Alec, it turns out, is a werewolf ... one cursed to change every night, unless and until he surrenders his independence and joins the Brotherhood, a pack of violently misogynistic werewolves who have been tracking him for months. You'd think that would be their biggest problem, wouldn't you? But no. Their biggest problem -- though they don't know it yet -- is that they're aboard the RMS Titanic." (Summary from
goodreads.com)

Claudia Gray's Fateful is the story of Tess who is a servant girl for a wealthy family. She joins the family on a voyage on the Titanic to America where she hopes to leave her job and start a new life. While on the ship she meets wealthy Alec who turns out to be a werewolf. Alec is cursed to change every night unless he joins the violent Brotherhood pack. Tess soon finds herself falling for Alec although she shouldn't and involved in the problems with the werewolves.

I loved Fateful and was completely captivated that I did not want to put this book down. I have read Gray's Evernight series and really enjoyed it but Fateful is definitely my favorite book she has written yet. The story takes place only over a few days but each character is deeply developed. Tess is a servant girl who has lived with a wealthy family that tells her what to do, treats her poorly, and talks down to her. However, this only makes Tess even more tough and brave. I admit I have fallen in love with werewolf Alec as well. He is wealthy and suffers the curse of turning into a werewolf each night but he is still sweet and doesn't care about social rankings. Although Alec doesn't know Tess for very long their relationship grows naturally and doesn't feel rushed. I also loved the supporting characters such as Myriam, Irene, and Alec's father.

I loved the setting on the Titanic and it is described in great detail which made me feel as though I was on the ship as well. The plot flows from page to page and knowing what happens to the Titanic only adds to the suspense. However, there are still some unexpected surprises thrown in throughout the story. I was sad when this book ended although the plot is wrapped up in the end, I still want more. I highly recommend Fateful, it's set in a fascinating setting and is filled with romance as well as action.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read this one! I just won it in a giveaway so I'm stoked to receive it! :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this one looks so good. The whole Titanic concept sounds so fascinating and the cover is gorgeous! Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story..nice review..and i loved the setting on the Titanic and it is described in great detail which made me feel as though I was on the ship as well.
    Outdoor playground equipment

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)