Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories

Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories
By: Megan Kelley Hall and Carrie Jones
Released: September 6, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"You are not alone Discover how Lauren Kate transformed the feeling of that one mean girl getting under her skin into her first novel, how Lauren Oliver learned to celebrate ambiguity in her classmates and in herself, and how R.L. Stine turned being the “funny guy” into the best defense against the bullies in his class. Today’s top authors for teens come together to share their stories about bullying—as silent observers on the sidelines of high school, as victims, and as perpetrators—in a collection at turns moving and self-effacing, but always deeply personal." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Dear Bully is a collection of stories about bullying by seventy Young Adult authors. Authors shares their own personal experiences with bullying, witnessing bullying, or being the bully. Each story is short but delivers a powerful and emotional message.

I really enjoyed reading Dear Bully and I admire each author who shared their own story. Some stories are so heartbreaking that I wish I could confront the bully for the victim. The stories not only convey the emotions that the individual felt in that moment but also how it can affect them years later. They also teach that bullying can come in many different forms. An individual may not think what they are experiencing is bullying but it actually is.

Dear Bully helped me a great deal because I experienced bullying during middle school and high school. I was bullied by two girls who had been my best friends since kindergarten. I am ashamed to say that I also took part in bullying as well though because I stood by and did nothing as my friends bullied other girls and boys during middle school and high school. I feel guilty for never doing anything especially after I became the target and many people stood by and watched. During high school I was harassed online and physically threatened by some of the girls and the boys who had been my friends all because a couple of girls claimed that I began a rumor that I didn't even hear about. I spent the rest of high school acting invisible and ignoring this particular group. However being bullied taught me much about myself and how to treat other people. It is also one of the reasons why I began to read because when I had a bad day I would escape into a book.

I knew I had to read Dear Bully when I first heard about it because my heart breaks when I hear tragic news report on bullying and also because of my own personal experiences. The stories from Dear Bully will always stay with me. After reading each story I would have to stop and reflect on it before beginning the next one. I appreciate that the book varies between stories of the authors who were bullied, witnessed bullying, or were the bully. I think it is important to read about the bully in an effort to understand why they do or say what they do. I highly recommend Dear Bully to all teenagers and adults because it provides a powerful message and teaches you about the effects of bullying. Dear Bully can also help anyone experiencing bullying learn that they are never alone.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this so bad!!! I have so many books, but I want to just read and read and read!! This one sounds so good, I love your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)