Monday, August 29, 2011

Possess by Gretchen McNeil

Possess
By: Gretchen McNeil
Released: August 23, 2011
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from. Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Gretchen McNeil's Possess is the story of Bridget who hears the voices of demons and has the power to banish them. When a local priests enlists Bridget's help in performing exorcisms, Bridget learns that the demons have a message for her. Soon Bridget begins to learn more about the demons and uncovers the truth about her father's murder.

Possess is an exciting, mysterious, and creepy story. I loved the character of Bridget because she is tough and strong, especially after everything she has gone through. However, she eventually learns to open up to others as the story progresses. I especially liked the relationship she has with her little brother, Sammy, who she will do anything for. I loved sweet and adorable Matt and how his relationship with Bridget develops over the course of the book. I also enjoyed going along with Bridget and Matt to solve the mystery of Bridget's father. Another character I really liked was Bridget's best friend, Hector, and I wish he was in the story a bit more.

I really enjoyed Possess and I especially loved the ending because it wasn't what I was entirely expecting. This plot is so creepy and the scenes with the exorcisms and the ending were freaky. It was interesting to learn about all of the demon history and about the exorcisms. I liked that McNeil slowly introduces the history in parts and repeats the most important facts because it prevents the reader from feeling overwhelmed and confused. I highly recommend reading Possess, it is an excellent debut.

 

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Possess and I especially loved the ending because it wasn't what I was entirely expecting. This plot is so creepy and the scenes with the exorcisms and the ending were freaky. small business web design

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)