Monday, August 22, 2011

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

The Near Witch
By: Victoria Schwab
Released: August 2, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children. If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company. And there are no strangers in the town of Near. These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life. But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true. The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him. As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Victoria Schwab's The Near Witch is the story of Lexi who lives in the small town of Near with her mother and little sister. The Near Witch is a story about a witch who controls the wind and has been passed on for generations to scare children. However, one night a stranger appears in Near and the following night a child disappears from his bed without a trace. As more children begin to disappear, Lexi hunts for the children as well as the truth to the new stranger.

The Near Witch is a captivating and exciting story that Schwab brings to life with vividly described characters as well as setting. Lexi is an excellent and well written protagonist who is tough and independent. She is not like most of the girls in Near because she likes to go into the forest like her father taught her. When the children begin to disappear she goes on a hunt herself to find the answers despite her Uncle telling her not to. I really liked the relationship Lexi had with her mother and sister as well. Her mother accepts who Lexi is and doesn't force her to change. Lexi is also completely devoted to her little sister and will do anything for her.

Cole is the mysterious new stranger in Near who Lexi wants to know more about. The town blames Cole for the missing children because he is the stranger that showed up out of nowhere and they need someone to blame. I especially enjoyed learning about Cole's past and completely fell in love with his character.

The Near Witch has many suspenseful moments that made it nearly impossible to put the book down. The plot flows smoothly from one page to the next and I was a bit disappointed when the book ended because I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters and Near just yet. I loved going on the hunt with Lexi to solve the creepy fairytale like mystery of the missing children. The Near Witch is an excellent debut that I strongly recommend and I can't wait to read what Schwab will write next.

My Rating:




Enter to win a copy of The Near Witch in the August Giveaway

3 comments:

  1. I am planning on reading The Near Witch. I wasn't sure but I think I'll give it a try. Great review!

    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award! See my post here: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my TBR pile for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to it. You're review is making me consider sliding this book to the top of my pile now =)

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)