Monday, August 15, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
By: Laini Taylor
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Source: Won from From The TBR Pile
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war. Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the captivating story of Karou who does not live a typical human life. Karou lives two lives, one where her friends think the sketches of monsters in her sketchbook are just her imagination, while in her other life those monsters are her family. She was raised in a secret and mysterious shop where teeth are collected in exchange for wishes and Karou has been sent on many errands to collect these teeth from all around the world. While on one of her errands, Karou meets an angel, Akiva, and she eventually finds out the mystery to her past.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a creative, dark, and exciting story. The characters are deeply developed and I have grown a strong attachment to them. Karou is an excellent protagonist because she is tough and independent. She secretly balances two completely separate lives. I enjoyed the mystery behind Karou's life and I liked that it was slowly revealed throughout the story. Akiva is the mysterious but gorgeous angel who should be Karou's enemy but he can't seem to stay away from her. I loved that the narrator's switched between Karou and Akiva because it gave a deeper understanding into each character. Another character that stuck out to me was Zuzana because I enjoyed her friendship with Karou.

The well paced plot picks up immediately and I was instantly captured by Karou's story from the first page. Taylor's writing is addictive as well as beautiful. She not only brings the characters to life but she describes many of the cities Karou visits in such great detail that I feel as though I am walking the streets with Karou. Taylor also creates unique myths and stories of angels, demons, and magic. I can't wait to read the sequel because I am desperate to know what will happen next. I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and I don't think I can speak of it highly enough, it's definitely one of the best Young Adult books I have read all year. I strongly recommend it, you will not want to miss out on this book!

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)