Monday, August 8, 2011

Author Interview: K.C. Blake

K.C. Blake, the author of Crushed, has kindly taken the time to answer a few questions about her book and writing

"The Noah sisters rule Titan High with their beauty, brains, and magical powers. Each year they play a secret game: Crushed. The girls pick their targets carefully and blow enchanted dust into the boy’s faces, charming them, but this year Kristen makes a grave mistake. She chooses the wrong boy and almost dies that same day. Coincidence? Maybe. But something isn’t quite right about Zach Bevian. He doesn’t behave like a boy who’s been Crushed. He goes from hot to cold, from looking at her with contempt to asking her out on a date. She doesn’t know what to think. Does he hate her or is he truly falling for her? Is he trying to kill her, or is he trying to save her?" (Summary from amazon.com)

1. Where did the idea for writing Crushed come from?
  Then I asked myself what I would do if I was a teen girl with magical power.  The answer: I would have played games using my powers, maybe even bet other girls with power that I could do a better job.

2. Why choose to write about witches this time around when you have previously written about vampires?
   I knew that I needed something different.  My first book, Vampires Rule, has vampires (of course) and werewolves.  At the time, I had an agent, but she couldn’t find a publisher for it, so she suggested I come up with something that nobody had seen before.  Even though Vampires Rule has a different hook, that wasn’t good enough for editors to take a chance on it.

3. What is your writing schedule like?
   When I get up I exercise, eat breakfast, etc.  Then when I run out of things I have to do, I drag myself over to the computer.  Seriously, I love to write, but it is so hard for me to get started in the mornings.  I write for a while.  Then I go online and check my blog, Goodreads, etc.  Eventually I return to my book.  I try to write at least half a chapter a day.  Sometimes I don’t quite make it.  Usually because I get such a late start, I find myself writing late into the night.

4. What are the benefits to being an Indie author?
   Control.  When I wrote for Harlequin, they changed my title and had me rewrite my book to certain specifications.  If they didn’t like a word, I had to find another one.  If they didn’t like my character’s name, I had to change it.  Plus, you have no real say on your cover.  I remember holding my breath as I opened the box with my books in it, hoping for a good cover.  Now I make my own covers. 

5. What is one of your top favorite books?
   Right now I am re-reading Cassandra Clare’s City of Glass, and I love it just as much the second time around.  She is definitely one of my favorite writers.

6. What books have you read this summer?
   Right now I am re-reading Cassandra Clare’s City of Glass, and I love it just as much the second time around.  She is definitely one of my favorite writers.

7. What are you working on next?
   I am working hard editing Werewolves Rule (the second book in the Rule series).  Then I am either going to edit Shifters Rule (the third book) or Witch Hunt (the second book in the witch-game series).  At the same time, I am trying to put together an outline for the fourth Rule book.  Believe me, I have plenty to do.  I also have a hunter series that I am dying to write, but first I need to finish up the two series I have out there.  Several people have been pestering my friends, asking when I am going to put out another, and of course some people ask me on my blog, Goodreads, etc.

8. Where can readers find you online?
   I am on Goodreads under K.C. Blake (no space between initials), on Twitter under kasiblake, and I have a blog called Ghost Writer here: http://kasi-kcblake.blogspot.com/.  Also, I have a fan page on Facebook. 


9. Where can readers find your books?
   They can go to my blog and click on the book covers on the right.  That will take them straight to my books on Amazon.  They are in ebook form and also in print.  They can also find them on Smashwords and Barnes & Noble plus a few other online retailers.

Thank you so much K.C. Blake for taking the time to answer these questions. I highly recommend Crushed, you will not be disappointed. You can read my review for it here and you can purchase Crushed on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)