Monday, July 4, 2011

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Spellbound
By: Cara Lynn Shultz
Source: Purchased E-book
Released: June 21, 2011
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight. But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else." (Summary from goodreads.com)


Cara Lynn Shultz's Spellbound is about Emma who has recently began going to an exclusive private school in New York after moving in with her aunt. At school Emma meets Brendan and can't seem to stop thinking of him. However ever since meeting him strange things keep happening, such as nightmares and streetlamps bursting when she walks by. 

I enjoyed Spellbound and found it to be a creative and captivating story. I sympathized a great deal for Emma who has experienced much loss already in her short life. However, Emma is a strong and tough heroine. Brendan grew on me much more as the book progressed. Emma and Brendan's relationship is powerful and develops at a believable pace. 

I particularly enjoyed the secondary characters, Cisco and Angelique, who I thought were well written. The premise and the background history that is explained within the story is interesting. I also loved the setting in New York City and it made me feel as though I was walking the city with Emma. Shultz makes a great debut and I finished the book in no time. I recommend Spellbound, it is a great supernatural read.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I rated this the same amount of stars. I had mixed feelings about it, but it was ultimately entertaining. Great review!

    Happy 4th of July! Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not really sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)